Thursday, January 17, 2008

Alright, I am done...

I am admitting defeat people. Yes, I have been defeated in potty training by my little 2 1/2 year old. Today I had this realization that as smart as this kid is; he is just not ready to be potty trained yet. I gave it almost a complete 4 days but this afternoon around 3 pm after 3 or 4 accidents in his underwear I just couldn't do it anymore. I called my mom to see if she thought I should keep going but she told me that he probably isn't quite ready yet and that I don't want to let it be a battle of wills because Nathan will win that every time. So after that I told Nathan I was going to put a diaper back on him and his response was "OH! The Mickey Mouse diapers?!" Yes, very excited about it too. It ruined my whole day because I have been very diligent this week. We have stayed home which I guess isn't too sad because it is a balmy 16 degrees for the high today and zero at night, but I had put so much effort into this that it makes me pretty angry he isn't potty trained. My friend Karen told me that a doctor told her friend not to even bring up potty training to a boy until he is 3 1/2 years old. I can't even imagine Nathan in diapers for a whole other year!!!!! She also told me that it was okay if he ended up not picking it up quite yet but I am totally bummed out. Oh good heck, what am I thinking?! I guess one of the big reasons that I was frustrated was because his poop has been hard and so he would be pooping right after I put his big boy undies back on. I guess it was easier for him to walk around and get it out. Right after the diaper went back on, I sent him to his room (which I hadn't been able to do cause I didn't need him in there peeing or pooping) because I needed a break from the kid. A few minutes later he came out and he was stinky. It's one of those things where if someone even mentions that my child needs to be potty trained or asks why he doesn't go in the potty at this moment I think I might have a freakin' come apart! It definitely isn't a lack of trying on my part. He just never got the hang of telling me that he needed to go potty...even just pee! I feel like it was so close because I had given it everything I had and we were almost done with diapers for one child but not so much anymore. So who knows now. We did tell him that he doesn't get all the treats anymore until he goes potty and he wasn't too happy about that. hahaha I do have some pull here people!
Good thing I am going to lunch tomorrow with Karen and Celeste. Then I can vent and actually get out of the house. I feel like I need out right now after being cooped up in here for the past 4 days with really only one outing on Monday night. This could drive a mom batty all this potty training stuff! I am just about there to tell ya the honest truth! I guess my last thought is this...I hope that his diapers start driving him crazy! Yep, I hope when he potties in them that he is very uncomfortable. (I think the uncomfortable feeling already hit because soon after he had pooped in his diaper this afternoon he was like "mommy change my diaper.")

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i totally understand! i am in the same boat!

Anonymous said...

You gave it your best shot. He will come around and when it is his idea it will be easier.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

I feel your pain. Hopefully next go around it will be easier.

Lane and Katie Eyre said...

Ugh, the frustration. I am not looking forward to this at all! Don't worry about it... he'll do it when he is ready!

Anonymous said...

I found that summertime was the best time to potty train all 3 of my boys. With all of them it was the summer after they turned 3.
Hopefully this summer Nathan will be ready.