We had a great weekend this past weekend...up until Sunday but I will get to that in a minute. Friday we were busy out and about because we had...I think it was...3 showings and one of them was actually a repeat showing. Nathan got to go to his friend Lee's house and play. He was so excited because he and Lee are great friends and to go to Lee's house is even better because Lee has "choo choo trains" (two of them to be exact). So Nathan tells Nana now that he wants "two choo choo trains for his birtday". Saturday we got a call that we could be expecting an offer on our house but by Saturday night it had never come and apparently something had happened and there was not going to be an offer at all! HUGE Bummer!! We got our hopes up for NOTHING!!! A bit frustrating to say the least but we will be okay. We had Lee's family over Saturday evening for a barbeque and just hanging out. We had a great time with Brad and Heather...while Nathan enjoyed the company of Jeanette and Lee while Rylee hung out and their little girl Bria hung out too. We ate some good food and chatted. Nathan actually woke up with another COLD!! Okay, we can't even go a week without getting sick in someway or another.
Sunday morning Ryan and I woke up and started getting ready for church. Nathan, being the sick child that he was, never woke up. I got Rylee up and her and I made our way to church. It was a great meeting and she looked as cute as ever in her new Easter dress!! After church we went to my parents house for dinner and just hung out and watched some March Madness together. Pretty exciting I know! We drove home just after 6pm and before we even got on the freeway Nathan was out like a light. Rylee was good the whole way home...she fell asleep just a minute or two before we got home but she was an angel as always!! Ryan got Rylee out of the car when we got home while I got the dish and the Easter presents out. I went in and kinda took notice that Rylee didn't want to sleep but she couldn't seem to keep her eyes open at the same time. After Ryan brought Nathan in he set him on the floor so he would wake up and Rylee decided she was done in the carseat. Ryan had sat on the couch and I picked Rylee up and was putting her in her saucer to play but she decided that she didn't want to do that. I don't remember her fussing very much but she was sure kicking her legs in an attempt to not get set in the saucer. I set her in and it seemed that she was going to take a deep breath and scream. She does get in her saucer sometimes and put her head down and cry. Well that's what happened she put her head down and I thought she was gonna come back up and just wail...well her head didn't come back up. Ryan said "Okay Rylee, breath." I was standing there in front of her and so I manually took her head and pushed it back so I could see what she was doing. Well when her head went back she was completely blue in the face but I think her eyes were open. I picked her up and tried to get her to come out of whatever it was but I hurried and handed her to Ryan. I ran to the phone and called 911 because this was all too familiar from Nathan going blue after he seizured at just about Rylee's age. I was talking to the lady on the phone and after all the information got passed on to her Rylee finally let out a cry. We didn't need an ambulance after all but we did head to the hospital. We went as fast as we could to Jordan Valley hospital. She was responsive in the car but she was completely out of it and sooo white in the face.
We went into the ER and they had me fill out a paper that took only a minute and then they immediately took her over all of their other patients. After a couple of minutes the doctor came in and checked her out and commented on how pale she was. They wondered if she was always that pale. She is definitely white but she had NO color in her cheeks at all. After he examined her he stepped back in all the sudden she had color in her face again and she started acting like herself. I called my parents on the way over to the hospital and told them what had happened. I didn't know what we would be doing so after we got the doctor to look at her and tell us that they were going to run tests I had my mom and dad come and pick Nathan up. They took her for a CT Scan, Chest Xray, EKG, and blood tests. We waited and waited but the doctor in this hospital knew his stuff but not really for babies. He got the blood tests and decided to call and discuss them with a doctor up at Primary Children's Hospital (PCH). She had a high level of calcium in her blood and then something else was high that I can't even remember. It really stumped both doctors. After waiting till 11pm at the ER they decided to send us up to PCH so the doctor up there could look at her and run some more tests. They took Rylee and I by ambulance up to PCH and Ryan went home to pack a couple of things because by this time we knew it was going to be a very late night.
We saw multiple nurses and one doctor and JVH but nothing compared to what we would see at PCH!! PCH is a teaching hospital so we saw TONS of different doctors and nurses and each one would want the whole story all over again. I told it over and over and they told us straight up front that really they probably might never know what caused this and what exactly it was. They decided to admit her for observation at about 2am. I had been sitting on the bed in the ER with her all night and she would fall asleep until someone else would come in and poke or prod her. Poor girl! She hardly got any sleep between all of the interuptions. The doctors best guess was that she had something called a "breath holding spell". Which is exactly what it says...she holds her breath and passes out. But it really isn't like every "common" occurance that they have seen/heard. So they were guessing but they still needed to observe her to see if it was apnea, SIDS, seizures, and to see if her calcium level in the blood was something that they needed to worry about. Finally at 3am I told Ryan to just go home because he needed to be at work Monday morning because they were starting the statewide programming and they were beginning in his area. I was sitting with Rylee until 4am when they finally admitted us and got us in our room!! I was completely exhausted and I didn't get to sleep until 4:45am because Rylee was awake from the nurses talking to her and ooooing and ahhhhing over her and her blue eyes which almost every nurse commented on. Which was kind and all but I was completely exhausted! I woke up at about 7:30am so not much sleep for Rylee or myself but Rylee took lots of naps and the doctors came in to see her. Thankfully her calcium level did come down to normal and nothing with the monitors had made them worry so it seemed we might go home on Monday. Well, that was not the case. They kept us 24 hours from when they admitted us to watch her. She never had another episode or anything like that so that was sort of reassuring but it seems like it never happens when it would be better to...ya know like in the hospital where they are constantly watching and monitoring her...it would happen when we are at home with no doctors and we have to call the paramedics.
Today the doctors were listening to her heart again and yesterday they told me that she had a very distinct sound to her heart but they didn't think it was a murmur. Today they all (about 6-7 of them...I told you this was a teaching hospital!) came in again and listened to her heart and the two "doctors" (not residents or interns) told me that her heart makes a high pitched noise and they decided that it probably is a murmur. Nothing that would have caused the episode from the other day but just to make sure that I knew for further reference. I was glad Ryan stopped by this morning because he was there when the doctors came in and told us about that and then they told us we could go home! Yay! Except for the fact that Ryan was leaving right then to go out of town to Vernal for the night. So just before noon my mom and Nathan came and picked Rylee and I up. She actually lost some weight in the hospital even though she ate really good. She weighs about 16 lbs 8 oz. We are so glad to be out of the hospital and tonight we are staying with my parents and tomorrow we are going to see Rylee's pediatrician who is so sweet to call and see how she was doing when they heard on Monday morning! I just wanted to thank everybody for their calls, well wishes and those of you who went out of your way to stop by and see us!!!!! We are just so grateful to Heavenly Father that our little Rylee girl is okay. Things like that definitely put things into perspective for our family...what is important: our family and being together forever.
PS I will post some pictures in the next couple of days. :)
6 comments:
Holy Cow!! What a traumatic story, and experience. I cannot imagine!! I'm glad that all is better and that she is home and healthy. We are thinking of you!
Poor Baby! We want you guys to know that you are in our prayers! That is SO scary...TOO scary! That is just a parent's WORST NIGHTMARE! We love you guys!
Wow, that's terrifying. I'm glad she's okay!
I am so glad that little Rylee is okay. You are in our prayers!
so scary! we will keep her in our prayers keep us updated!
I am glad our little Rylee girl is okay. But is does put into perspective that families are most important. We love you Rylee!
Post a Comment