Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Crib Issues...Opinions NEEDED

Okay so here is my question for you...and YES I want/need an answer.
So let's say my mom bought a crib from we will call it RW almost 6 years ago for my baby(ies). It happened to be a drop down crib because that is what they used to sell....I know ancient times right?! Since then they have begun to recall drop down sided cribs so of course I was nervous but I never got a notice saying they had recalled my crib. I didn't even know what KIND of a crib I had so I had my mom call RW to check and see if I had one of these cribs that had been recalled. According to the recalls all you had to do was call the manufacturer and give them the item number or whatever and they would send you out (for FREE) a kit that would secure the drop down side so it wouldn't drop down anymore. RW told her the kind of crib I had and so I got on the website and couldn't see this crib anywhere on the site about recalling so I wasn't too worried and I currently didn't have any babies in the crib to worry about. Now we have a baby in that crib and the drop down side is broken! One of the ends that drops down won't even stay up when the side is up. So a while back my mom called RW again to find out about this kind of crib so we could contact the manufacturer and get a kit to fix the one we have. Apparently, the manufacturer is out of Canada, has gone out of business, don't answer any calls or the some of the lines are disconnected and there is no one to even contact. We decided to go back to RW and ask them about this company which they do NOT do business with any longer. They came to the same conclusion we did and hit a dead end. They have tried to offer me 5, 10, and even 15% off of a new crib from them "since it has been so long" they can't really do anything about it. They wanted me to pay $70 for a service person to come out of and look at it but I refuse to pay $70 for a service guy. I just want this company to stand behind this product they sold me/my mom...it is a safety issue we are dealing with here. I was completely willing to deal with the manufacturer but since they aren't in business wouldn't you expect the company that sold you the product to stand behind it? They finally decided to send out a service person this Friday free of charge to see if it is something they can fix....here's hoping they do something about it! So now my question for you....If this was you what would you do??

I know she IS priceless! But what if I don't have any more babies and I only need a crib for about another year...so really BUYING a new one is not really a great option.

9 comments:

Mik's Jewelry Shop said...

All I know is that I need a picture of that!!!! She is so cute :) How much longer do you plan on keeping her in her crib. You could always use your port a crib or buy a tall box to put around the baby mattress??

lacie tidwell said...

I would demand the retailer give me 505 off a crib- then I would resell the crib later on craiglsit or ksl or whatever is in utah. That's a tough one- she ownt be in a crib TOO much longer (a year or so?) so its a tough spot to be in- porta crib for a year? or demand a ridiculous price on a new crib- I once fought Walmrt on a bassinett for three hours and WON! I got $100 back from them in the form of a giftcard- so persistnece (or nagging) pays- I'm sure they paid me to shut me up but hey it worked- I used the honey viegar approach- nice at first super sweet and tried to get the problem handled- if I talked to a snotty person BAM! vinegar came out and I still got results- it's your childs saftey there is no price on that-

craftyashley said...

I would find a replacement on craigslist or something. A couple of years ago a company that manufactured our crib recalled some, but not our specific crib, I emailed them some pictures because I suspected our model had similar problems, a couple of months later, they recalled our model too and we got new ones. I had a similar dilemma as the girls were already 2. The hassle was worth it. If it were me, I'd find a new crib.

Jill said...

I am not a good person to ask because I am currently using a drop down crib... Guess I am not too much of a worry wart. I got my crib for free, so I don't think I can even figure out how to get the replacement parts... on the other hand, I have a crib at my mother in law's that I bought when she was babysitting Brooklyn. I don't know if it's drop down. It's definitely the basic model, but I'd let you use it if you need one. (I may have another kid quick and will need it in a year or year and a half, but you are welcome to use it until/if I need it...)

Jenae said...

craiglist a crib. you don't need a beautiful nice one for just one more year. so get a cheap and ugly one that won't kill your child. that's me. but i live in student housing and we routinely get furniture from the side of the road: bleach, sand, repaint, recover, call it our own.

jenae

Heather said...

I'm with Jenae...we used whatever we could find. I turned the drop-down side of my crib towards the wall so at least if it came down, my little one wouldn't end up on the floor. =] It's a tough one...not sure what to tell you. Except that the pic you posted is adorable! =]

missy said...

i'm currently using a drop down side also. both cribs i got, i've got from the DI when you could still get baby stuff there. so not much help. you could always rig it up somehow. Gorilla glue is awesome. put the broken side up against a wall. my girls take the side off of mine a lot. i just put it back on and deal with it.

Trista said...

I would use a porta-crib. Check out Miss Becky's--she put a pad in it and it's so comfortable! It's got to be more comfortable than an actual crib mattress. Or find a friend who will lend you one. I think I'd do the porta-crib thing even if I knew I was having more kids. They are functional, and really who cares how it looks? It's only temporary! But then I'm a scrooge!

Angela said...

She is so dang cute!! I miss her. I would get a new crib but demand RW pay for it or try to get 50% off. I would then sell it on Craigslist after I was done. Check IKEA too!!