Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The fruits of our labor

The end of August and first part of September we have been busy with our canning/bottling our vegetables this year. We really got the bug and started with our lemon cucumbers and making canning them into dill pickles. Then we bought some corn and tomatoes from a GREAT farmers market here in town and did some frozen corn cut off the cob and bottled 21 quarts of tomatoes. Thanks to my mom I was able to get the final 7 quarts done since Sydnee was miserable with an ear infection and we had been at the doctors and then to the store to get a prescription that day and she came over and did them for me! What a wonderful mom! Finally we did 3 batches of homemade salsa from his aunt Cher's recipe. Yummy stuff! Ryan and I tag teamed the salsa...the last batch Ryan was cutting up the onions (which made us cry they were so strong!) and I was taking all the peppers and de-seeding them. I couldn't believe after I was done for a whole day afterward I had three fingers around the nail-bed that burned! I was in so much pain! Apparently when you de-seed spicy peppers you are supposed to use gloves to prevent burns. I have definitely learned my lesson! We only planted tomatoes, cayenne peppers and lemon cucumbers in our garden this year but you can bet that next year we will have a much larger and better garden!


Salsa and tomatoes behind...only some of the ones we did.

and our cute little Sydnee is the last fruit of our labor from this year...okay really I just had to put a picture of her in this post to make you and me smile!

2 comments:

Angela said...

You didn't call your sis for the advice of gloves....Syd you are too cute!!

Hiller Family said...

I am so jealous, I didn't do anything this year cause of school. I can't believe how big she is..:)